The Beginning Of A Long Summer

18:55

Hi everyone!


I'm a 20 year old aspiring dentist, about to enter my third and final year of Medical Biochemistry. Before that terrifying ordeal starts, I'm living out the summer in Malawi, The Warm Heart of Africa followed by a short week in Tanzania.



I'll be spending six weeks in Malawi, of those, three in the Medical Sciences Lab of Kamuzu Central Hospital, and another week observing dental surgery. In Tanzania I'll be with GapMedics for a dental-focused placement which will be (fingers crossed) a more hands on experience.



I guess this blog is acting as a diary of sorts; to record my experiences and in the near future, to reflect upon the highs and lows of the two very different career prospects my placements will explore. Considering I'm a walking disaster in a lab, it'll be interesting to see how my weeks in a hospital lab play out. I don't see it ending well but who knows, maybe I'll surprise myself. I don't have my partner in crime with me (hi Sadif) so hopefully I won't be so inclined to set the lab on fire.


Granted, I'm going for medical experience but with the sun, sand and the sea, it's impossible not to treat it as a holiday. And with just over a week to go till I fly out, it's finally sinking in and my word I'm so excited!

I'm not going to stick to a writing schedule because communication is that of a third world country with no wifi and scarce internet access. So I have no idea if/when I'll get mobile data and when I'll get a chance to log my days, but I'm (stupidly?) banking on mobile data to upload regularly.

I hope it's nearly as enjoyable to read as it is to experience, and I promise to inject excitement into my posts as opposed to boredom, coupled with beaut pictures and the occasional selfie.

Happy Reading!

~ Kauser

You Might Also Like

0 comments