Lessons From Math Class

21:20

Conditional probability

is the manifestation of event A 

being dependent on the manifestation of event B

much like the manifestation of you and I

being dependent on me stumbling into you

on a cold Tuesday morning

the sum of improbable possibilities

like spilling coffee down my white blouse

with no time for a fresh cup but only just enough time 

to swiftly swap stained white for a creased navy

missing bus number twenty because I slammed the front door 

twenty minutes later than I should

skidding into a drug store to hastily apply eyeliner and red lipstick and spritz tester perfume 

in a desperate attempt to mask the ruin of a disaster morning

running in heels to the closest florist

because God forbid I forget mother's birthday

finding myself breathless at the counter of the coffee shop

just a few blocks away from my regular one that, today, is closed 

due to

unforeseen circumstances

and so, here we are, 

unforeseen circumstances in hand

as I rustle through my handbag

realising a beat too late 

that I am out of cash 

and my credit cards lie forgotten on my bed at home

your outstretched arm saving me from making unspoken apologies

when you say "here, I'll get it"

and my eyes, when they find yours with a sincere thank you

find something - someone - they hadn't quite banked on finding.




White chalk equations on the black board

an amalgamation of letters and numbers

coefficients and constants

that somehow always equate to you and I

parallel lines and parallel universes colliding

intersecting in the name of coffee

an I-owe-you

and exchanged phone numbers

their path invariably changed

because tracing them back to the accidental brush of a hand that knocked over a coffee cup

would be as impossible as dividing by zero.





The probability of you asking me out to dinner

was rolling a six on a dice -

less than unlikely.

0.167 on the probability scale

tipping our odds to less than 20/80

but you did ask me to dinner

and dinner led to date number two which led to

a future of top-heavy fractions

like the world on top of us

saying we will never work

in a mess of mixed numbers and flawed statistics

but I've always been an optimist

you love me you love me not you love me

f i f t y - f i f t y




sine - cosine - tangent

fractions of blurred lines

when your lips meet mine in a drunken haze

my heart a prime little thing beating away solo

able to divide with none but herself

but, 

here she is - take her whole
 



And if you were to ask me why I kissed you

that night under the stars

the parabola curve of your smile in the moonlight

your fingers through mine tetra squares and constellations

your roaming lips tangent to my aching curves

I would tell you that 1+1 is always equal to two

an unequivocal truth

much like

when your hands skimmed my waist

and your heartbeat brushed against my finger tips

I could feel you rattling in my bones

I always knew you were mine.




If you were to ask me

how did you know

I would say

that you are 360 degrees of cherry 𝝅

radian(t) in all your curves and edges

the angle at which you tilt your head 

complementary to mine

makes you 90 degrees 

J
U
S
T  R I G H T


my hands on your chest 

two points of a chord

in the infinite circle of you and I

because much like 𝝅

we are a string of indefinite constants

infinite

unending

limitless.




Poetry has coined the term
f
    a
        l 
            l                                        
                i
                    n                                                 
                           g        in love

but no one talks exponential

            E
        S
    I
R        

cumulative value of fingertips pressing into skin

red wine beneath the blankets

my legs tangled with yours

your heat beat-beat-beating in perfect synchrony with mine

sweet nothings whispered between the folds of satin bedsheets

dinner on the edge of gradient sunsets

shifting between phases of forever in this finite world.




anything multiplied by zero is zero

(you + I) = zero

multiplied by anything

we remain.

divide us

ERROR: undefined

You Might Also Like

0 comments