Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

21:30

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
SCREENPLAY
by J K Rowling, John Tiffany & Jack Thorne




5.0/5.0 stars

~

Of course. Of course I rated it five stars. Because it's J K Rowling and Harry freaking Potter. I am morally obligated to give it five stars. It's instinct. But...all (obvious) bias and fan-girling aside, I thoroughly enjoyed returning to the magical world that I hold, and always will hold, so dear to me.

I had my qualms about it. Like any Harry Potter fan, there was the anxious fear that the new story would be an epic fail, an experiment gone wrong, and then there was the tangible, flooding excitement at the idea that we would be holding a new Harry Potter book in our hands. The latter won out. When its release was announced, it was impossible to not be hit with a cold dose of nostalgia - because for all of us, the feeling of waking up to a new Harry Potter book, camping out till midnight the night before, awaiting pre-orders, driving out first thing in the morning to get a hold of it...it is a defining moment of childhood, an all too familiar excitement that signifies so much. And almost ten years later, to be caught up in that again, was exhilarating and terrifying all at the same time.

^ HOLY HELL THE NOSTALGIC FEELS WITH THIS FIRST PAGE
I can't even

This is the eighth story, one we never expected to get because J K Rowling firmly shut the door on the Harry Potter world once upon a time, and yet, here it is - a novelised play we hold in our hands that is being performed on stage as I write, and that tells the story nineteen years later...

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.


The Harry Potter fandom is split right down the middle with this unexpected journey. And I get it. I totally understand the issues so many fans are having with it, from the gaping plot holes to the snide remarks at how "it's badly written fan fiction". And I don't think that's fair. Because, ultimately, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is not the eighth book. It has to be judged as a separate entity to the seven books of the series. Cursed Child is a completely different ball game; it is a mere glimpse, a small snapshot into the life that J K Rowling mapped out for her characters after Deathly Hallows and that she intended to bring to life on stage. It is a character-driven insight into the chaotic aftermath of adulthood. And that is where I think she succeeds. 

Cursed Child has a different style that is refreshing and nostalgic in equal measure; I loved that the characters we had grown up with, characters with whom we were so familiar, were brought back to life and remained true to their young counterparts. Their character growth is phenomenal and I appreciate that throughout this story alone, they recognise their flaws and try to rectify them - there is something so wonderfully human about it. I loved that the Golden Trio are still that, a trio forever at the centre of drama/trouble. I loved the humour that was so Harry Potter in nature, it had me LOL-ing throughout.

I loved the complex relationships that are navigated throughout this story, how much they are explored with depth and how they break the mold in which the previous seven books are set. I loved the relationship between Harry and his son, Albus; it is broken and so painfully raw that it threatened to tear my heartstrings more times than I could count. I loved the light in which Draco Malfoy is portrayed - I love that there is redemption, and in turn, a shift in his relationship with Harry. I freaking loved the friendship between Albus and Scorpius Malfoy. Even if you hated this story...their friendship alone merits five stars. And if even that didn't sway you, Scorpius Malfoy is a five star worthy character who is just so precious, I can't even cope. 

My favourite thing about this book though, is that whilst it felt familiar with its bitter-sweet sense of nostalgia, it felt so different at the same time. See, it was never meant to be a continuation of the Harry Potter. To expect that as a reader is a cruel injustice. Rather, Cursed Child is an insight into the psychological damage that the past inflicted on Harry and how it deeply affects not only him, but also his son who can never fully appreciate the struggles and brutal burdens that weigh heavy in Harry's past. It is the heart-breaking tale of two young boys who are the sons of two famous men, with a history tainted by Dark magic and unspeakable demons, and how it paves the way for a lonely childhood as misunderstood outcasts. It is a story that has an edge of realism, that counters the idea that "all is well" and that antagonises the misconception that Harry Potter's life ended happily ever after. It is moving, gut-wrenching and oh so human, and packed with its plot twists and surprises, it is everything that I wanted and never expected.

I can forgive the flaws that so many hated. For me, this book worked. I don't see it as a part of the Harry Potter series, but in essence, it acts almost like an extended epilogue that is beautifully written and that carries on the Harry Potter magic in its own little way. Take it with a pinch of salt; don't expect what you're probably expecting and don't slate it for its plot that wouldn't work as a book. It was always meant to be a play and I am bloody excited to see it on stage next year because translated in theatre, this story is going to be one epic performance. The only reason we're lucky enough to be holding it as a book is because J K Rowling wanted to share it with those who aren't able to see it. So call it what you like...unnecessary, a disappointment, a fail...but personally, I feel that it's a gift to all her fans and it's up to you whether or not you treasure it. As for me, I'm treasuring it. Because any time J K Rowling puts pen to paper, it turns to gold.


You Might Also Like

0 comments