Spoonful of Sugar

21:40

Loving you is like 

hanging upside down in a quaint confectioner's shop

blood-rush-sugar-rush

dizzy from the sugar high

guilty pleasure like 

pin-pricks attacking my taste buds

and every nerve fibre that hangs off a cliff-edge

the toxic tingle of sweet-and-sours

making my mouth pucker

i n v o l u n t a r i l y

it is tumbling confusion and dazzled reverence

and the stomach-churning gravitational thrill 

of roller coaster adrenaline

when it

d
    r
        o
            p
                s

it is being blinded

by skies of exotic colour

inhaling 

with the desperation of a dying soldier

the air, a riot of candied sugar fragrances

all clamouring for attention

you are everywhere and nowhere 

all at once

and I am as drawn to you 

as inescapably as bees are to nectar




your promises 

when you wrap your pinkie finger tightly round mine

taste like strawberry kisses

dusted with icing sugar to make them pretty

subtly seductive and saccharine sweet

your compliments

when you call me beautiful

are toffee caramel 

- G O L D E N -

melt-in-the mouth smooth

butterscotch lingering on the edges of your lips

that quirk into a flirtatious smirk

when my rising blush blooms to rosy apples 

your dark humour and dark eyes 

are black licorice - acquired taste, slightly addictive,

numbing poison that hurts the insides of my cheeks

when your rough laugh scrapes across my skin

raising goosebumps in its wake

you are the playground thief of pocket money

but my sweet tooth is never satiated.




your husky voice excoriates the soft flesh of my ear

when you confess your dangerous secrets into existence

frosted lips against my cheek

ice-cool

twisting my veins

much like the red-and-white twisting 

of peppermint candy canes

that - S - N - A - P - my teeth 

much like my heart 



S - N - A - P - S



in two

when someone asks if I am yours 

and you laugh with easy nonchalance

and say that we're just friends.




my eyes catch

on the faded red imprint just beneath your jaw line

and tell-tale teeth marks in your neck

they fall

on your open collar and messy hair

rumpled clothes and shoes on the wrong feet

and I want to scream 

sweet jars crashing and collapsing

obliterating my heart

burying it under sheets of shredded glass

but you are blind-drunk at 3am 

and while I am stumbling on carpets of broken glass

you are stumbling through the door I left open 

just in case




knock-door-run was our favourite kind of trouble

but I never dreamt that it would be my heart 

being knock-knock-knocked upon by your knuckles 

and that you would be   t r o u b l e   of the favourite kind



(your retreating heels drag up clouds of dust 
as my clumsy fingers grasp at thin air 
i will never catch - 
you have mastered illusion with a finery 
that would make even 
h o u d i n i 
turn in his grave)


out of sight

- always, out of sight - 

out of reach, out of touch, out of league

(but never out of mind)



when you tell me you love me

and swear that she’s your soulmate

in the same breath

I blanch

the cloying sweetness of strawberry kisses

clogging my throat

it is nauseating - crawls up my airways and chokes up my lungs

blood leaden with candy-sweet cruelty

puncturing cavities in my bones




and when you tell me I'm the best thing in your life

not a fraction of sobriety on the surface

my teeth break and crack

on burnt caramel that clamps them shut

blackened treacle gluing them together

shattered enamel avalanching into the spaces between my cheeks

when I try to say you're the best thing in mine

and having you like this is better than not having you at all




Loving you is like

spinning in a sweet shop

swallowing a handful of repeat prescription pills

saying your name ten times fast

in the hope that it will lose all meaning

tongue tripping over the syllables

like sticky hands caught in a candy jar

because a spoonful of sugar

helps the medicine go down

in the most delightful

D E V A S T A T I N G

way.

You Might Also Like

0 comments