An African Winter

20:56

Eek. I saw the first lizard today. I swear it's not lizard season?!? So now I'm sitting in bed smothered in jungle repellant and my eyes are every so often flitting across the room trying to pick out any reptiles that have decided to become temporary inhabitants.

I'm also awfully cold. My body is a natural freezer anyway and then when I finally make a getaway to Africa, it's freaking colder than Britain. I've been sleeping in socks and living in a woolly cardigan for the last few days. It could just be me and my faulty thermostat, but my family had the heating on this evening which should serve as evidence that temperatures are far from those of an exotic country.

I don't mean literal heating by the way. For those of you who don't know, radiators and central heating don't exist over here so we have a little pot full of coal that we light indoors. It's almost like a mini barbecue. I can't tell you if it's very effective (it's not) but it does give out carbon monoxide fumes so even it was, I'd rather steer clear and freeze.

The point of this post. Oh yeah. My weekend post where I simply update you on the fun things I've been getting up to (cause I figured you guys would need a break from the sciency stuff).

So last night my cousins decided to take me for dessert to City Mall which is a mini shopping complex. Considering the current climate, we were smart enough to eat ice creams in the outdoor eating area at 10pm so by the end of it, we were shivering, teeth chattering, and in goosebumps. It was a fun night though! Maybe comparing it to Heavenly Desserts wasn't wise; I mean vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce is about as good as it gets here but dessert is dessert right?

I actually haven't done much else. Malawi is short on entertainment. Their first cinema at City Mall just opened up but they show ancient films and consists of a single room with the plastic chairs we've all had the pleasure of sitting in at primary school. Classy, eh? So all in all, I can't wait to be back at the hospital tomorrow. I got up to some pretty exciting things on Friday that I can't wait to share with you guys but I shall leave that for another day. On that note, I've run out of data and I desperately need to top up so I apologise if my next post isn't up in good time.

I promise it'll be worth it?

You Might Also Like

0 comments